| The azaleas in front of our house are WHITE. They are pretty but I think I like the pink/red at the Yorkshire house a little better. But then again not enough to replant. One is much healthier than the other so I hope it survives. I think it will since it was healthy enough to bloom. This is the are to the left of the front door when starting at the house. We transplanted the hostas and the three plants in the front from the back yard. We will have to wait and see what the "mystery" plants actually do, If I don't like them then I'll put in something else! |
Jacqueline here...in case you've never seen my google screenname.
ReplyDeleteYou can try to get the white blooms to turn pink or blue. You'll need to make the soil more acidic. They sell fertilizers just for this. You'll also want to add iron to the soil. Most big box retail and home improvement stores sell formulas just for this purpose. It will say "rhodedendron" or "azalea" fertilizer. Sometimes they won't turn back but you can try.
As for the deer, they aren't fans of marigolds or nasturtiums. They also won't usually touch lavender, echinacia/coneflower (sp?) and bellflower (aka campanula). There are some others, I bet a quick google search would find them. I think there are annuals too but I prefer perennials myself as I don't have time to be fooling around each year re-planting all my beds.